December 14, 2011

Kitchen Fun: Banana Bread

Scott & I didn't register for wedding gifts because we don't really have a house. We move. A lot.

But; thankfully, one of Scott's Aunt & Uncle got us a house gift anyways. A kitchen gift. One I've wanted for a long time now.

Cue: Clouds parting, angel's singing on high, golden light....enter stage left - KITCHENAID MIXER!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Photobucket

Too much? Okay, a quick little hug for my most amazing new stand mixer and moving on.

Photobucket

I decided to christen my new mixer with a recipe I usually ask my mom to make for me.

Banana Bread.

One of my personal favourites, but one I have been too timid to try. Until now that is - with my glorious new mixer by my side!

Photobucket

You will need:

A Better Homes & Garden 'New' Cook Book, circa 1980. And yes, my mom received it brand new.

1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe banana (the more black the better, says my mom)

Cream together shortening and sugar. Then add eggs and beat well. Oh, does the Kitchenaid ever beat well.

Photobucket

Sift, if you are sifting type of person, dry ingredients. And yes, my mom's sifter is also circa 1980 - maybe even earlier. Then, add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with banana.

Photobucket

Pour into well greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Admire your adorably cute apron and then do the ol' knife-in-the-middle comes-out-clean-then-you-know-its-done-trick.

Photobucket

And voila! Golden banana bread! Let cool and enjoy!

Photobucket

I'm impressed with myself that it actually turned out great for my first attempt at banana bread. It must have been the mixer ;)

1 comment:

Teaka said...

I can smell the warm banana scent already! Looks so good!
One day I dream of having a kitchenaid mixer!!! :D