June 11, 2012

Kitchen Fun: Cinnamon Buns

I haven't posted a recipe in SO LONG that I thought it was time to change that :) Plus, Scott and I really wanted cinnamon buns this morning!

This was the very first 'bread' recipe that I tried and so my great surprise they turned out really good - so, if I can do this, anyone can!

First, the ingredients...

Photobucket

Dough:
1 cup milk
4 Tbs butter, cut into chunks
3 1/4 – 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 (.25 ounce) package instant or ‘rapid rise’ yeast (about 2 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg (not pictured because my super cute kitchen helper was at the store picking some up :)

Filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened

Secondly, put on your cutest apron. Bonus points if it matches your toenails!

Photobucket

In the microwave, melt the butter in 1/2 c. milk then take out and add the remaining 1/2 c. milk. Stir until the butter is melted.

Photobucket

While the butter/milk is cooling, whisk together 2 c. flour, the white sugar, and yeast in your mixing bowl. Once butter/milk is warm (not hot) add it to the flour mixture along with the egg and mix together, using the beater attachment if you are lucky enough to have a kitchen aide mixer :) Beat until well combined.

Photobucket

Add the remaining flour slowly, until the dough barely leaves the side of the bowl. You want the dough to be slightly sticky but not so sticky you can't touch it without it sticking all over you. How's that for overuse of the word stick?

Photobucket

Knead for 5 minutes.

Photobucket

Take dough out of bowl and put on a floured surface. Let rest for 10 minutes.

Photobucket

While dough is resting, put all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix together. I had a super cute kitchen helper to do this part for me. He is just so cute :)

Photobucket

Then, roll the dough into a 12 x 14 rectangle. Spread the filling mixture across the top. I use my fingers; because, try as I might I just couldn't make it work with a spoon or spatula. Bonus points to you if you can!

Photobucket

Roll up from the LONG edge. I did this wrong the first few times. It actually makes a big difference!! And now, here is the biggest secret - use dental floss to score and slice the dough. You just wrap it around the dough and pull the ends in opposite directions. It's like magic.

Photobucket

Then put buns into well greased pan and let rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

Photobucket

While you wait, you can mix up the icing:

1 1/2 C powdered sugar
2 T melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1-2 Tbs milk

Just mix all ingredients until smooth.

Photobucket

Bake until golden brown. This time, the middles popped out of some but that's okay.

Photobucket

Then just spread some icing on the gooey delicious-ness and enjoy!

Photobucket

I originally found the recipe here. It is a great site full of amazing recipes!

2 comments:

The Smith's said...

Oh my... that looks soooo delicious...
im almost mad at you for making me want some so bad.
but, maybe i will do a blog with my rendition, and you can make fun of me. just like when i tried to do your pizza pockets. haha.

The Lawlor's said...

My mom used thread, like you use dental floss. Best thing ever!